Type: Neuron with unknown function.
In MoW: CAN
Male Wiring Project: CANL, CANR
In Wormbase: CAN, CANL, CANR
Lineage: AB alapaaapa, AB alappappa
Location: Midbody, lateral sides
Description: Process runs along excretory canal, no chemical synapses seen, some gap junctions to excretory cells, essential for survival. Posterior processes terminate at the anus. After they are born, CAN neurons move some distance from the anterior end of the embryo to their final positions midway along the body
- Monoamine; express VMaT, CAT-1
- NLP-10; neuropeptide-like protein
- NLP-15; neuropeptide-like protein
(Nathoo et al., 2001; Duerr et al., 1999)
(Altun et al., 2009)
- SER-2; tyramine receptor (a splice variant)
- Possibly GGR-2; a GABA-A/glycine receptor-like protein
(Tsalik et al., 2003; Fujiwara et al., 1996)
Function: CANs are essential for survival.